SmartBasket is a mobile app that reduces food waste by helping consumers shop smarter at the grocery store. Smartbasket answers the challenge "How do we feed 9 billion" by reducing the amount of food we all throw out at home. When we waste less producers grow less. Conserving the important resources we need to feed the future is the main objectives of our project. SmartBasket is THE app that will transform the "supermarket nightmare" into a fun part of your week, while saving you money!
What if you could download an app for about a dollar, that would save your family 2,000 dollars a year while reducing up to 15% of food that is wasted? Our vision for SmartBasket is that it will help consumers at the grocery store shop and cook smart, to make the most of their resources.
There are a lot of factors that affect how long food lasts. These include the distance it traveled to the store, whether its in season, how its processed etc. For this reason, expiration dates can be misleading, and people have a hard time planning their meals effectively. Our app would take these factors into consideration and generate a smart shopping list with links to recipes, storage tips and background information of the food purchased.
It helps you purchase only the fruits and veggies that your household is likely to eat in time, reducing spoilage and overspending.
Moreover, you will be able to interact with your friends and neighbors and challenge them to reduce food waste together. Earn badges for creative food waste reduction while competing against your network friends.
First: Create an app that gets us thinking about food spoilage and reducing waste at home.
Our app will have six basic functions at first.
- Let's Shop: when arriving at the supermarket, you will select fruits and veggies with our help, according to how fast they will spoil. It will enable you to create your own "Smart List" based on your preferences, portion size needs, spoilage time and the most efficient ways to preserve your food (example: SmartBasket tell you not put two fruits that produce a lot of ethylene close to each other, as they will spoil faster).
- Once on board with your Smart List, the app will give great recipe ideas and tips for using forgotten foods and leftovers to make great tasting meals (zucchini bread for instance, for zucchini thats gone mushy).
- At home, the app will remind you of some fruits/veggies you may have forgotten and prioritize them in the days ahead.
- Games/FUN/Badges: in order to make it interactive, you will have your own profile and will be able to challenge and compete with your friends while unlocking badges and rewards, such as Master Chef, Phood Photographer, Creative Cook etc. These will likely work as partnerships with existing apps, food blogs, recipe websites etc. The app integrates fun and games into all aspects of household food use: shopping, storing, cooking and eating!
-Educational facts and quizes (customized for different demographics based on the user profile) help consumers learn about food travel distance, whats in season vs. out, and fun recipes: these games promote food waste awareness and foster a greater connection to food consumption.
- A portion planner that will help you calculate how much food you will need for your family size and preferences.
The meal planner then works in concert with smartlist, discovering your meal preferences and using them to inform your shopping choices.
Next up: Create partnerships with regional supermarket chains to promote the app and ensure that it runs on the best possible data for users in that community.
These relationships will be mutually beneficial: the supermarket offers a service to its customers that saves them money (SmartBasket!), and gains a way to promote their chain. As an added bonus, SmartBasket helps generate information on consumer spending habits and thus helps retailers to best align their promotional offers to consumer needs !
Team Seed to Feed believes strongly that SmartBasket can be a popular (and fun!) app and also an effective food waste reduction strategy. We are ready to move forward with our business plan and have taken the following steps:
1. Assembled a team of techie collaborators to create the prototype: Our team consists of three young professional geniuses specializing in software engineering, graphic design, general computer excellence (!) who have experience working for a certain large international food agency.
2. Analyzed the market and our main competitors :
- Talked about our project with potential users.
- Scrutinized consumers' expectations and needs
- Examined market opportunities and threats
3. Made a budget by taking into consideration expenses for:
- app development (store locator, RSS etc),
- app design, and
4. Identified potential collaborators that SmartBasket could work synergistically with, as mentioned above: Supermarket chains, food blogs, recipe websites and other popular apps.